Skip to main content

A Place to Surrender

Today in my yin yoga class as we started our class lying on our backs, the teacher said "this is your place to surrender". She then asked us to set a sankalpa/intention for the class and a thought popped into my head - "I am me". 
Although I should be focused on my breath during my class, of course as usual, my mind often wonders. This evening I started thinking about how when I come to my yoga mat, it truly is a place to surrender - to surrender everything, all of my titles I get to leave at the door and I can walk onto my mat and JUST BE ME! 
How often do we get to do that? 
While I lay on my mat I realized just how much I get to surrender for an hour. I get to surrender being a mom, a wife, a friend, a sister, a daughter. I get to surrender being a teacher, a business owner, a fitness instructor. I get to surrender being too skinny, too sarcastic, too active or too lazy. I get to surrender all of my own judgements of myself as well as all of the expectations of other people. For that one hour I can surrender all of my failures and all of my successes and simple be me. Me - with no layers and no labels. I often hear the teacher say things like, "just surrender" but today I really felt it, and could feel the lightness take over my heart. Don't get me wrong, I love being a mom and wife and sister and friend etc. but some times it is just SO important to just be you - even if it is just for one hour every few days. 
As I walk into my next year and the next decade I have decided that I need to make me more of a priority in my life, and I urge you to do the same. How often do you, especially moms, put yourself as your absolute priority and fill your cup before you fill any one else's?  
What could you do to be in a place where you can surrender all your labels, expectations and judgements? Go for a walk on your own? Go to an art class? Yoga class? Away for a weekend on your own where you can just be YOU? Its incredibly liberating.  Surrender as deep as you can. Stay present to you. Go inward. Pull. Sweat. Be drenched. That's where you'll find it ✨☮️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its a good time to set some intentions

I just love this time of year - November, December, January. Firstly because it's festive and fun, and everyone goes into holiday spirit which is often filled with happiness and love. But secondly because it's the time of year where I start thinking of what I would like my next year to look like.  I learnt from Anthony Robbins to set 9 one year intentions. This is what I've been doing for a few years now, and sometimes 9 of these intentions materialise, sometimes much less do. However, I always know that if I didn't set the intentions, I'd be much further from my dream life than if I do.  And so this time of year is a great time to start reflecting on what your year has looked like so far, start re-evaluating what was good and wasn't and think about how you'd like next year to go. I break down my intentions into 3 areas:  1. Spiritual, mental and physical health 2. Family and home 3. Work and wealth Sometimes these shift and change dep

Are your priorities filling your cup?

I was chatting to a friend the other day and she asked me how I get to walk on the beach or do yoga all the time. She said she can barely sit down with a cup of tea let alone go for a long walk and it made her feel frustrated. It really got me thinking about the difference between our two lives.  Her house is always beautiful and spotless, all the housework is done, dinner cooked every night and children home-schooled at the moment. She also is committed to making her business a priority in this trying time which keeps their family afloat.  My house is always messy! Put 2 dogs and a 3 year old together and see what happens, so I often do the bare minimum to tidy it up, I leave the washing until its an absolute must do and share the load of cooking with my husband. It made me realize how different our priorities are and how we so often judge our lives based on someone else's priorities.   My priority every day is to either go for a walk or do yoga, because if I don't it

I'm Tired of Hustling ..... sshhh don't tell anyone

I am so tired of 'hustling'. I said it! I feel like 'the hustlers' would just die if they read that. Is it just me, or is hustling over-rated? Coming from someone who is an active relaxer, go-getter, self-motivator, I thought I'd never say those words.  But I have gotten to a point in my life where I am questioning whether we really need to be hustling all of the time, and never sleep or rest in order to be successful', or actually is it ok to take our own time, smell the roses and just enjoy our journey, and even switch paths if we really want to? I feel like we are living in a society where we are expected to achieve everything by 16 years old, be the absolute best in every area of our lives and if we aren't actively working towards creating millions of dollars, then we are questioned about what our purpose really is.  If I think back to when my parents were growing up, generally the dads worked Mon-Fri, the moms were at home with the children and weeke