Skip to main content

Let Go of What No Longer Serves You.

When I was 13 my mom discovered I had some back issues and we went to the doctors to get it checked out. After x-rays we found out that I had scoliosis (like so many others) and Scheuermann's disease. Sounds a lot scarier than it is. Scheuermann's disease is a curvature in the vertebrae that can develop in childhood, mine is at the top of my back which makes it hard to stand or sit up really straight. This information stayed with me and always made me very self-conscious of my posture. 

About 2 months ago I was at an expo and went to a chiropractor booth where they do a test on your spine and posture. I explained to the chiro what was wrong with my back and he didn't believe that I had Scheuermann's disease, he suggested I go for x-rays again as he didn't see my curve as anything beyond an 'average' posture. He couldn't seem to see the hunch that I had been carrying with me for almost 20 years! I couldn't believe it. I then researched it a little and realized that although the condition can't be undone, when you stop growing it will not get worse. 

For 20 years I was carrying this little burden with me, a worry that part of me will always be 'deformed', I will live with a hunch back and it will only get worse haha. All it took was for one person to tell me a different story and my entire belief system changed - this weight I'd been carrying on my shoulders (literally) lifted. How crazy? Not once did I question it in 20 years or get a second opinion. I simply accepted one persons diagnosis as my truth. 
It made me think about how many other belief systems have been put into place by just one person telling us something that we accept as the truth? A teacher telling us we will fail? A parent saying we aren't good enough, organized enough, pretty enough, smart enough? If you had to look back into your childhood, what one thing has followed you all these years that could actually be completely debunked if it was never said to you? By accepting it as our truth we give power to it and the person who delivered it to us. By accepting it we immediately use it as an excuse to not become better, to change or to release the hold it has on us. 

My brother was once told that he was dyslexic, I'm not saying that he isn't, but what if he wasn't told that, what if instead the teacher put more time and effort into his learning, would that change the outcome of his future? Would that change his mind about who he is. 
How crazy is it that we accept these labels that were put onto us when we weren't old enough to distinguish the difference and we carry them for decades into our future. 
How can you change your future right now by taking one 'truth' about yourself and questioning it? And then releasing it as someone else's
'truth'?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its a good time to set some intentions

I just love this time of year - November, December, January. Firstly because it's festive and fun, and everyone goes into holiday spirit which is often filled with happiness and love. But secondly because it's the time of year where I start thinking of what I would like my next year to look like.  I learnt from Anthony Robbins to set 9 one year intentions. This is what I've been doing for a few years now, and sometimes 9 of these intentions materialise, sometimes much less do. However, I always know that if I didn't set the intentions, I'd be much further from my dream life than if I do.  And so this time of year is a great time to start reflecting on what your year has looked like so far, start re-evaluating what was good and wasn't and think about how you'd like next year to go. I break down my intentions into 3 areas:  1. Spiritual, mental and physical health 2. Family and home 3. Work and wealth Sometimes these shift and change dep

Are your priorities filling your cup?

I was chatting to a friend the other day and she asked me how I get to walk on the beach or do yoga all the time. She said she can barely sit down with a cup of tea let alone go for a long walk and it made her feel frustrated. It really got me thinking about the difference between our two lives.  Her house is always beautiful and spotless, all the housework is done, dinner cooked every night and children home-schooled at the moment. She also is committed to making her business a priority in this trying time which keeps their family afloat.  My house is always messy! Put 2 dogs and a 3 year old together and see what happens, so I often do the bare minimum to tidy it up, I leave the washing until its an absolute must do and share the load of cooking with my husband. It made me realize how different our priorities are and how we so often judge our lives based on someone else's priorities.   My priority every day is to either go for a walk or do yoga, because if I don't it

Is it time to stop comparing?

Yesterday I went for an early morning walk up our hills nearby. Its about 40 minutes up and 20 minutes down. One of my absolute favourite things to do as I love arriving at my favourite view point and taking 10 minutes to sit by myself and visualize what I want in life.  On my way up a man ran past me and I wondered to myself how people get so fit that they can run up and down in a matter of minutes. I automatically thought I'd probably never be that fit, however as I took over an older lady I felt a bit better about myself - so strange, comparing myself and my fitness level to two complete strangers of very different ages and fitness stages.  It made me realize how easy it is to unconsciously compare ourselves to others in many different ways. It made me reflect on how we do this in life. For some people, life is about getting to the top as quick as they possibly can. They don't stop to look at the view, they don't even stop when they get to the top but instead continu